Follow Dashboard



The Taximan's Story
Wednesday, March 27, 2013 | 1:17 AM | 0 comments

The Taximan's Story

What I like about The Taximan's Story is the way I feel it elevates the status of the ordinary man, as a mere taxi driver is handed the power of semi-omniscience. He does not possess power in the traditional sense, like a Prime Minister, President or King does, but is all-seeing and all-knowing as he encounters passengers from all walks of life on a daily basis. The taxi driver is even aware of what activities go on in the fringes of society, such as that of prostitution.

"Ah, madam,  I know, I know! As taximan, I know them and their habits... Ah, madam, I see you surprise, but I know, I know all their tricks."

If knowledge is power, that would make the taximan an extremely powerful individual, as he is, as I mentioned earlier, all-seeing and all-knowing. However, one questions whether or not the power he wields is real power. The possession of information does not make him invincible or less vulnerable to it than any other individual - his own daughter is discovered to be engaging in the activities that he himself looks down upon. Clearly, the power of omniscience does not necessarily mean that he is above being affected by such activities. In fact, one can even say that in this story, knowledge is seen to be a burden. By being painfully aware of the tricks used by young schoolgirls, the hurt and anger that he feels with regard to his daughter's actions are probably even more heightened. This is especially so when one considers how ironic it is that something that has brought him sustenance (the young girls paying him for their taxi rides) is now coming back to haunt him.

Labels: ,